Winter is coming and so are the annual furnace tune-ups. As most contractors know, a tune-up prevents breakdowns and extends the lifespan of your customer’s furnace by ensuring the system operates safely, efficiently, and reliably all winter long. When scheduling your technicians for tune-ups this fall be sure these 10 key steps are a part of your preventive maintenance checklist:
1. Warranty - check the manufacture warranty, it may state that the homeowner needs to do an annual equipment check to maintain their manufacture warranty.
2. Air Flow - check for proper airflow. Adjust the air flow so that you maintain the proper temp rise listed on the furnace rating label.
3. Static Pressure - check total external static pressure (TESP), make sure the static is within the TESP listed on the furnace rating label (.5).
4. Blower Wheel - should be inspected and cleaned, air filter should be changed. A dirty blower wheel and dirty filter will cause:
Increase electrical use, higher AMPS can shorten the life of the blower motor.
Shorten the motor bearing life.
Increase blower noise.
Reduce airflow, potentially causing heat exchanger failure.
5. Wiring - check Wiring, if a wire becomes broke or lose, you are increasing the chances of a fire hazard.
6. Venting & Drain - check venting and drain system.
Venting is installed per manufacture installation manual on 90% plus furnaces and NFGC code book for 80% furnaces.
No leak in venting.
Properly slope according to the installation manual.
Drain trap clean form debris and does not leak.
Vent motor running smoothly at proper AMPS according to vent motor label.
Furnace is slope according to the installation manual.
Fresh air vent, look for any blockage.
Check the CO and O2 in the exhaust vent. The NFGC ANSI requirement for gas furnace manufacturer is 400 PPM Max CO air free.
7. Heat Exchanger - check heat exchanger for any crack or rust which could be a sign of an issue with the furnace.
8. Gas Manifold - check gas manifold pressure must be checked and set 3.2 - 3.8” wc.
9. Pressure Switches & Hoses - check pressure switches and hoses. Make sure the pressure switches open and close properly and hoses.
10. Safety Devices - check all safety devices, make sure they work properly, main limit, aux limit. Rollout switches, stack limit switches.
To download our free Fall Furnace Tune-Up checklist, click the link below.